The Champions League eliminations of Arsenal and Manchester City this week weren't unexpected, as ESPN's Soccer Power Index said there was only a 12 percent chance either would advance. But their departures did officially leave England with no teams in the quarterfinals. Here are five notes on England's recent struggles in Europe.
• This is the second time in three years that England has no teams in the Champions League quarterfinals. Before 2013, that hadn't happened since 1996, when Blackburn was England's sole Champions League participant.
• In the past four seasons, England has put a total of three teams in the Champions League quarters. In the four years before that (2008-11), England had 13 quarterfinalists, more than twice as many as any other country (Spain was next with six). From 2004 to 2007, England put eight teams in the quarterfinals, second only to Italy's nine.The Premier League clubs in recent Champions League seasons have not performed well.
• England remains safely ahead of Italy and France in UEFA's coefficients, but that dominance could soon be in jeopardy if recent trends continue. In the past four Champions League seasons, France has five quarterfinalists, two more than England. Even Italy, which hasn't had a semifinalist since Inter Milan won the 2009-10 title, has had the same number of quarterfinalists (three) as England in the past four seasons.
• England hasn't beaten teams from other top leagues lately. In the past three seasons, English clubs have been eliminated in all seven matchups versus Spanish and German teams. The only three times an English team has advanced since 2013 were Chelsea twice last season (versus PSG and Galatasaray) and Manchester United last season (against Olympiakos).
• England will be without a Champions League semifinalist for the second time in three years and for the third time in six years, compared to Spain's four semifinalists and Germany's three in that span (even before counting this season). That's a sharp contrast to the three-year stretch from 2007 to 2009, when England had nine of the 12 semifinalists and four of the six finalists.
https://bitcoinsv.io download xfinity secure profile.
You might also like
New England Patriots 2 Pack Jazz Pen on Blistercard, Team Colors (12009-QUQ)
Office Product (National Design)